Sunday, May 11, 2008

Cameron Seafood Restaurant

Location: 21-19 Cameron Street Kitchener Ontario

Website: http://www.cameronrestaurant.ca/

Speciality: Traditional Chinese

Service: who was my server?

Food: Grease Heaven

Thumbs up?: NO!


I will start the first ever blog with Cameron Seafood restaurant. Cameron is located near downtown Kitchener right in front of Cameron Heights High School. Once located (difficult to find) Cameron appears to be someone's house converted into restaurant. It seems that the restaurant had been quickly converted into a restaurant with little attention to decor and practicality. Nonetheless Bon and myself decided to select from the Dim Sum menu.

First we were served shrimp wrapped in rice paper. This was quite well done though very bland. Also it was very difficult for a non-asian to decide how I should negotiate eating it, so Bon came to my aid and a team effort was required to transfer one shrimp rice roll to my plate. Visually it appeared to be an egg white omelette with 3 shrimp inside the rice paper.

Next came the highly anticipated calamari. What a let down. What arrived looked like a plate stacked roof-high looking like cheesies!! The taste of the calamari was what most enraged me, the texture was rubber and the batter had a very strong egg-y flavour. Not a good start. Next up was something I had never seen in my life... it appeared to be a cabbage roll, but in fact was rice and "BBQ PORK" wrapped in banana leaves. Let me tell you if after reading this review you turn a blind eye to everything I say, remember this DO NOT ORDER this dish. It was in a word REVOLTING. The rice was lukewarm the pork appeared to be 70% fat and as an added bonus, a lovely "hot rod" stick (Chinese sausage) was included in the grease medley. Eww.

Next up was our steamed lotus paste rolls. This was a very pleasant surprise. As a first time Chinese food diner they seemed odd visually, kind of like unbaked dinner rolls. They were nice and goowee, and the lotus paste was sweet yet not too sweet. Bon thinks it could have used more lotus paste. The crystal shrimp dumplings ("har gow") followed and were quite delicious. The shrimp were big and fresh-tasting. I then tried the the standard egg rolls, which in a word... standard.

Next was what balanced the scale in the grease category... BBQ short ribs. My goodness I've had my fair share of greasy, artery-clogging fast food but this sucker takes the cake. The ribs were served in a dish and at the bottom i noticed a half inch pool of grease. Revolting... After losing our appetites we paid our bill and left. It was moderately priced (expensive compared to what you would pay in Toronto), but make no mistake we won't be returning.

No comments: